Doha, 25 February, 2020: As part of Hamad Medical Corporation’s ongoing community awareness campaign, members of the Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) team are manning a booth at City Center Mall throughout this week to educate the public about good infection prevention and control practices.
The IPC team is offering advices and handing out educational leaflets, highlighting key tips for people to follow measures to protect themselves and others from infection.
Dr. Jameela Al Ajmi, Executive Director of Corporate Infection Prevention and Control at HMC, explained the importance of adhering good infection control practices. “Germs are natural part of our daily lives and are present in the air, soil, and water, as well as in the human body. Not all germs cause infection and many germs live in and on the human body without ever causing harm. However, a small number of germs are known to cause infection, and this is why we need to follow good infection control practices.”
“An infection can occur when germs enters the body and increases in number and causing reaction to the body. Common viral infections including influenza, the common cold, chickenpox and measles can all be transmitted from person to person via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. For this reason it is essential that people follow a number of basic infection control practices to protect themselves and others from the spread of infection,” explained Dr. Al Ajmi.
The IPC team at City Center Mall had given education to the public and raised awareness of the following key tips:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water or use alcohol hand sanitizer, particularly after touching objects when you are outside or after shaking hands
- Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze, and dispose used tissues
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
- Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illnesses
- If you experience symptoms including cough, sneezing, and fever, limit your contact with other people.