There are some simple things one can do to reduce the risk of accidents and help enhance safety at home.
Have a look round your home to check what simple things you can do to make your home as safe as possible:
- Have smoke alarms installed professionally inside the house.
- Avoid walking in socks, tights or bare feet. Wear well-fitting slippers.
- Clear pathways of electrical cords, furniture, and other clutter.
- Put regularly used items within easy reach, i.e. at waist or counter level.
- Put night lights in bathrooms and on stairs.
- Secure floor coverings with non-slip pads or remove loose rugs or carpets that can be a trip-hazard.
- Install handrails, grab bars, and tub mats in the bathroom.
- Consider getting and wearing a personal alarm, particularly for older people who live alone.
- Consider installing a handrail or ramp if there are stairs