The Speech Therapy Department is an important and active section within rehabilitation services, which works in collaboration with other medical and allied healthcare disciplines within Hamad Medical Corporation. Our speech therapy team managemes disorders of speech, language, communication and swallowing in children and adults.
Speech therapy is focused on the prevention, diagnosis, habilitation and rehabilitation of communication, swallowing, or other upper aero-digestive disorders. This also includes elective (optional) modification of communication behaviors and enhancement of communication. The department receives approximately 2,000 visits from children and adults each month.
The speech therapy team works with almost all medical departments across HMC hospitals, building an effective working relationship in a collaborative environment. Over the last few years several members of the team have been awarded the HMC Stars of Excellence Awards. In terms of providing specialized care, the department offers the following:
Speech and language delay/disorders
- Voice and swallowing disorders (dysphagia)
- Patients needing assistive devices such as speaking valves or voice prosthesis
- Augmentative and alternative communication systems
- VitalStim therapy for dysphagia patients (uses electrical stimulation with swallowing exercises)
- Hearing impairment management