This role is critically important for the operational function of the service which includes one of the largest obstetrics services in the world. The role includes leadership on day to day coordination of activities that affect clinical performance working with the Department’s Clinical Team Leaders and the Functional Area Leads.
The Clinical Director reports to, and works closely with, the Chair who is also Director of Women’s Services for HMC.
The Clinical Director will have clinical specialty or subspecialty expertise within obstetrics and gynaecology. The clinic commitment of the post will be aligned to balance the Clinical Director’s clinical interests and the importance of having an adequate time allocation for this major leadership role.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Service planning
- Service redesign and support for ongoing development of specialization and sub-specialization
- Oversight of clinical issues in obstetrics and gynaecology
- Coordinating devolution of issues to Clinical Team Leaders and Functional Area Leads as appropriate
- Day to day clinical operational issues that arise
- Coordination of medical staff appraisal and evaluation process with Chair and VC-ES
- Ensuring adequate hospital medical staffing through involvement in recruitment and leave approval processes, receiving reports from staff rota coordinators
- Working closely with VC-SQI to ensure that the Women’s Hospital safety and Quality agenda is supported
- Supporting academic alignment of the Department with the goals of the Academic Health System (AHS)
- Coordination with VC-ESD to ensure an optimal balance between effective service delivery and educational and staff development priorities
- Working closely with the service leads for obstetrics and gynaecology across the Women’s and Newborn Health Network including membership of the Network Board
- Contribute to the development of the specialty nationally.