Physiotherapy is a method of treatment using Physical means that includes Physical modalities and Exercises. Physiotherapy is integral to all spheres of health and well-being such as promotion, prevention, habilitation and rehabilitation. It encompasses physical, psychological, emotional and social factors. Physiotherapy involves the interaction of the physiotherapist with the patient and their family, care givers and relevant other health professionals and communities.
Exercises prescribed by Physiotherapists are specific to the problem. They are designed with specific goals and calibrated for correct frequency, intensity and duration. Physiotherapy intervention uses principles of modern science in resolving pathophysiology of pain & movement restriction by constantly innovating, integrating research and clinical expertise supported by evidence. Hence, the Physiotherapists are considered as movement specialists.
Physiotherapy intervention varies from Robotics to intense hand on techniques that are designed and prescribed to develop, restore and maintain optimal health. Physiotherapists use principles of clinical reasoning and develop Therapy plan that are rational and based on a thorough evaluation. They use specific outcome measures to monitor changes followed by reassessment to understand the effectiveness of intervention. Therapy plan is changed based on the outcome; goals are constantly reviewed based on improvements.
Physiotherapists empower their patients to manage the condition outside clinical settings. They work within their scope of practice and their professional Code of Conduct.
Physiotherapists are qualified and professionally able to
- undertake a comprehensive examination/assessment of the patient/client or needs of a client group
- evaluate the findings from the examination/assessment to make clinical judgments regarding patients/clients
- formulate a diagnosis, prognosis and plan
- provide consultation within their expertise
- implement a physiotherapy intervention/treatment program
- determine the outcomes of any interventions/treatments
- make recommendations for self-management and healthy life